Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge Info
Pitt Meadows is the "best kept secret in the Fraser Valley." It is a mostly rural community with both farmlands, great golf courses, and over 29 kilometres of bike paths along scenic dykes. Pitt Lake is the North America's largest freshwater tidal lake.
Maple Ridge is a beautiful community, where you can experience both natural beauty in Golden Ears Provincial Park, and history with the Heritage River Walk, with the Maple Ridge Museum and Haney House.
The first European settlers, ex-employees of the Hudson's Bay Company, arrived in 1858 from the Fort Langley trading post across the Fraser River. The Scottish-born John Maclivor and Samuel Robertson were the first pioneers to successfully turn rainforest into farmland. Maple Ridge was named after the ridge of Maple trees on Maclvor's dairy farm. More settlers came under the Federal Free Homestead Act of 1874, which provided land at a $1 per acre if you promised to clear, fence and build a home in three years. The settlements along the Pitt River became Pitt Meadows. Pitt Lake, Pitt River and Pitt Meadows were named after William Pitt the Younger, British Prime Minister during much of the Napoleonic Wars Maple Ridge was incorporated in the fall of 1874 with 40 people who settled along the Fraser River.
Thomas Haney arrived in 1876, and started a brick factory at the site of the town now bearing his name. Construction of the CPR right of way in 1881, brought more settlers to the community, who expanded inland ito the communities of Whonnock, Ruskin, Pitt Meadows, Webster's Comer and Albion. When the Lougheed Highway was built in 1931, a further burst of development in Maple Ridge ensued. Local festivals & events: Mountain Festival Parade (early May), Pitt Meadows Day (June), Ridge-Meadows Fair (late July), Pitt Meadows Blueberry Festival (Aug), Whonnock Festival (3rd Sunday in Sept).
Golden Ears Provincial Park
West on Hwy 7 for approx 29 km, and follow signs
Alouette Lake forested area mountains and waterfalls, picnic area, bark mulched hiking trails, ideal for horseback riding.
11612-224th Street, Maple Ridge
An historic site built in 1878 for Thomas and Anne Haney, this home remained the residence of Haney descendants until 1979 when it was willed to the Municipality and was restored for the display of the many furnishings and artifacts of three generations of the Haney family. Guided group and school tours can be arranged. Admission by donation. Open: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Wednesdays and Sundays.